Here is the poster for the final animation.
I’m not happy at all with the final outcome of the project and had to struggle with some (really time-consuming) problems in the end…after copying all the files via FTP to my computer and composing them in After Effects I realized that some frames were missing…they got lost during the process of copying the files from the render server to another server from which I could get the files then. So I had to rerender as many frames as I could in tha last minute and use my machine as well for rendering. In the end I had like 30 minutes left to add the audio, so it’s pretty crappy as you can imagine. Due to this I didn’t have time to add the motion blur or the depth pass either, which would have improved the looks a lot. Well I simply should have checked each of the 24 folders with render data right away after copying.
It would have also been A LOT nice if I could have added grass dynamics, so that it doesn’t stand there stiff and still but moves with the wind and especially when the character walks through it. But I turned off the dynamics for decreasing the render time and especially because they can cause serious problems when being rendered via the netrenderer (different processors calculate the dynamics differently which can cause the hair to ‘flicker’). Since I didn’t have time to render everything twice in order to calculate the render times probably and to check if the dynamics work I simply turned them off. I could have also worked with a lot more hair (although the landscape has a total of 200k), but my workflow was already incredibly slow…when I wanted to check how the current frame looks I had to wait for more than 10 minutes until my machine had rendered that stuff. Really annoying.
However, I think the character animations and camera angles/movements are quite nice in some parts and I definitely learned a lot about that stuff during this projects wherefor I’m very grateful.
I’ll definitely keep this character, improve or extend the rig (including the eyes for example) and will do some more animation stuff with it, probably simple but nice and focussing mainly on it’s movement, which I want to be more ‘pixar’ like, quick and easing.